James H. Kallianis
OverviewFor more than two decades, Jim Kallianis has represented corporations and individuals in matters ranging from employment disputes to multimillion-dollar securities and consumer fraud class actions. Jim also has represented insurers in matters involving directors and officers, cyber, employment practices, general liability and professional liability policies. In addition, he has defended various professionals, including lawyers, real estate brokers, accountants and insurance brokers.
Chambers USA has described Jim as a "brilliant trial lawyer" who is recognized by his peers as someone who "fights hard but conducts himself professionally." He is a first-chair trial lawyer and has tried cases in state and federal courts around the country. He also has argued appeals before state and
federal appellate courts.
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business (2010-Present)
- Best Lawyers in America®
- Illinois Super Lawyers®
- Leading Lawyers, Law Bulletin Publishing Company (Commercial Litigation; Insurance; Insurance Coverage & Reinsurance Law)
- American College of Coverage Counsel
- DRI, Cybersecurity & Data Privacy Committee, Chair
- American Bar Association, Member
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society, Member
- Discovery Overview in Federal and State Courts in Illinois, Business And Commercial Litigation (Ill. Inst. for Cont. Legal Ed. 2019)
- "DRI Data Breach and Privacy Law Conference," Program Chair, November 2015
- Insurance Coverage Issues Implicated in Data-Breach Claims, For the Defense, (Vol. 57, No. 3 March 2015)
- "Cyber Liability Class Actions & Litigation and Their Impact on Assessing What Breaches and Resulting Claims are Worth," American Conference Institute’s 10th National Advanced Forum on Cyber & Data Risk Insurance (March 2015)
- "Negotiating and Drafting Cyber Risk Provisions and Policies," Post-Conference Workshop, American Conference Institute’s 10th National Advanced Forum on Cyber & Data Risk Insurance (March 2015)
- "Insurance Coverage Issues Implicated in Data Breach Claims," DRI Data Breach and Privacy Law Conference, September 2014, Program Vice Chair
- "A View from the States: Emerging Regulatory and Enforcement Activities and the Growing Authority of the State AG Offices," American Conference Institute’s 9th National Advanced Forum on Cyber & Data Risk Insurance, September 2014
- "Cyber Coverage for Business Interruption as a Result of Denial of Service Attacks," American Conference Institute’s 8th National Advanced Forum on Cyber & Data Risk Insurance, March 2014
- "Current Litigation Trends," Chicago Chapter, CPCU Society, April 2011
- Law360 Insurance Editorial Advisory Board (2010)
- Illinois Insurance Law FlashPoints (IICLE)
- Professional Liability Insurance, Suing And Defending Professionals(Ill. Inst. for Cont. Legal Ed. 1997; Supp. 2001)
- "D&O Insurance: Current Topics & Trends," Emerging Issues in Insurance Coverage Litigation, Chicago Bar Association, April 2005
- "Internet Liability: E-Commerce & the Insurance Industry," PLUS International Conference, New York, November 1999
- "D&O Claim Trends (Securities Reform, Year 2000 and Employment Practices Liability)," REBEX ’98, Chicago, 1998
- "Coverage Aspects of Managed Care," PLUS Midwest Conference, Chicago, Illinois, Fall 1998
- Empowering Corporate Boards to Exercise Greater Control Over Shareholder Derivative Actions, Watson Wyatt’s D&O Newsletter (Summer 1997)
- Discrimination, Sexual Harassment, and Wrongful Termination: How to Minimize Your Risk and Exposure, Bank Director, White Paper on Directors’ and Officers’ Liability Insurance (1994)
August 15, 2019Skarzynski Marick & Black LLP is pleased to announce that Mike Marick and Jim Kallianis have been selected for inclusion in the 2020 Edition of “The Best Lawyers in America” by Best Lawyers.
May 6, 2019Skarzynski Marick & Black LLP partners Michael M. Marick and James H. Kallianis have been recognized in the practice area of Insurance Dispute Resolution: Insurer-Illinois in the 2019 Edition of Chambers USA, a prestigious annual ranking of law firms and attorneys.