William C. Kolb
OverviewWilliam (Bill) Kolb resolves insurance coverage and complex civil disputes for domestic and international insurers and other businesses. He litigates and advises insurers on matters involving first-party property insurance, third-party liability insurance, reinsurance, international losses, cyber risk, inland marine and marine, builder's risk, environmental litigation, toxic torts, construction defects, construction losses, controlled insurance plans (CIPs), energy and utility losses, professional liability, product liability, fraud investigations and liability claims arising from industrial, construction and environmental accidents. He has handled a number of high-profile matters throughout the United States and abroad including matters arising from Hurricanes Katrina, Ike, Isaac, Irene and Sandy.
Bill provides comprehensive advice on the drafting of policy forms, claims handling and coverage disputes. He represents insurers in all aspects of litigation, including trials, arbitration, appraisal and appeals. Bill is experienced with large property losses involving manufacturing, industrial processes, construction projects, equipment failure, utility and power, warehouses, hotels and entertainment facilities. He speaks before insurance industry and legal organizations on coverage issues involving civil authority, ingress/egress, business interruption, delay in completion, faulty workmanship and multiple perils.
- New York Super Lawyers, 2013-2018
- New York County Lawyers Association, Insurance Committee, Member.
- Loss Executives Association, Member.
- Property & Liability Resource Bureau, Member.
- Honorable Order of the Blue Goose, New York, NY, Member.
- When 1 Progressive Loss Ends And Another Begins, Law360, January 20, 2017, Co-Author.
- Global Warming and Interstate Nuisance: U.S. Supreme Court Rejects Lawsuit For Injunctive Relief, mCWG newsletter, Winter 2011, Author.
- Federal Court Rules that Property Insurer May Depreciate Contractor Overhead and Profit and Sales Tax, MCWG Newsletter, Summer 2011, Author.
- New York's Enigmatic Scaffold Law: Deciphering the Elevation-Related Risk Requirement for Falls Protected by New York Labor Law §240(1), mealey's litigation report: employment law, June 2011, reprinted in MCWG newsletter, Summer 2011, Author.
- N.Y. Court of Appeals Clarifies Burden of Proof in Product Liability Actions, MCWG News Bulletin, June 2011, reprinted in MCWG Newsletter, Summer 2011, Author.
- U.S. Supreme Court Issues Landmark CERCLA Decision in Environmental Cleanup Action, MCWG News Bulletin, May 2009, Author.
- Reflections on Law and Cases Relating to Builder's Risk, mealey's construction defects report, April 2009, Author.
- The Stringfellow Acid Pits: The Supreme Court of California Rules on Insurers' Liability For Indivisible Property Damage Under 'Sudden and Accidental' And 'Absolute' Pollution Exclusions, mealey's pollution liability report, 2009, Author.
- Is Appraisal Sometimes Better Than Litigation? And Some Thoughts From Your Friendly Courts On Builder's Risk Coverage, mealey's insurance, July 2008, Author.
- Avian Flu: Assessing the Risk, Parts 1 and 2, riskvue, Nov. and Dec. 2006, Author.
January 20, 2017William Kolb and Michael Silvestro published an article in Law360 discussing progressive loss scenarios in property loss claims. The article discusses recent case law developments and the role of expert evidence in obtaining summary judgment.
09/22/2016On September 22, 2016, Mike Silvestro and Bill Kolb will be jointly moderating two panel presentations at the Western Loss Association’s Fall Conference at the Lake Lawn Resort in Delavan, Wisconsin.