Juan Luis Garcia
Juan Luis represents various industry clients in business disputes and advises management on their practices. His experience includes prosecuting and defending lawsuits in federal and state courts and arbitrations around the country. Juan Luis has successfully represented clients from investigations and commencement of a lawsuit to trial and appeals. His experience includes litigating alleged business fraud, breaches of licensing and stock purchase agreements, intellectual property misappropriation, investor claims, broker liability, employment practices liability, defective product design or manufacturing and indemnity issues.
Juan Luis has also become a go-to trial attorney for insurance industry clients. He regularly advises insurance clients to evaluate coverage under many complex scenarios and to identify defense objectives for policyholders and other insureds. He litigates difficult coverage disputes involving such issues as alleged bad faith, directors’ and officers’ liability, financial institution liability and computer systems fraud and cyber risk coverage.
- Long Island Pulse Magazine’s Top Legal Eagle in Insurance Law (2018)
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS), Member.
- Defense Research Institute, Insurance Law Committee
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section
- Federal Bar Council
- Universal American Corp. v. National Union Fire Insurance Company of Pittsburg, Pa., 25 N.Y.3d 675 (N.Y. Court of Appeals 2015): Successfully represented a national insurer in New York’s highest state court to vindicate client’s interpretation of its computer systems fraud coverage in connection with fraudulent medical bills submitted by authorized and authenticated users.
- Confidential arbitration (American Arbitration Association 2016): Successfully represented a publishing company and its Chief Executive Officer through contentious e-discovery and a multi-week trial in an action alleging breach of fiduciary duties and waste of corporate assets.
- Enzo Life Sciences Inc. v. Adipogen Corporation, et al., Civil Action No. 11-CV-00088-RGA (U.S. District Court, District of Delaware 2015): Successfully represented defendants through trial in an action alleging breaches of a stock purchase agreement, trade secret misappropriation, breach of fiduciary duties, and other business claims.
- Avis Budget Car Rental v. JD2 Environmental, Inc., et al., Civil Action No. 12-cv-05010 - PKC - ST (U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York 2018): Successfully recovered $5 million for property damage and consequential damages caused by the defendants.
- Mann v. Thomas-Senior and Urban Compass, Inc., 174 A.D.3d 444 (N.Y. Appellate Division, 2d Dept. 2019): Successfully represented defendants with a full dismissal of all claims and an affirmance on appeal in an action alleging real estate broker liability.
- Sandia v. Wal-Mart Stores East, LP, Appeal No. 16-3181 (U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit 2017): Successfully represented defendant with a full dismissal of all claims and an affirmance on appeal in an action alleging discriminatory and retaliatory employment practices by management.
- Giuffra v. Vantage Travel Service, Inc., Civil Action No. 13-CV-06880-KBF (U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York 2015): Successfully represented national travel broker in an action alleging breach of contractual and fiduciary duties.
March 30, 2020Skarzynski Marick & Black LLP continues to grow and is excited to announce the addition of partners Samantha Riley, Jessica Cavallo and Suzanne Whitehead; the promotion of Rebecca Amdursky; and the arrival of counsel Juan Luis Garcia.