Michael V. Silvestro
OverviewMichael Silvestro is coverage and litigation counsel on a wide range of first-party and third-party policy programs for domestic and international insurers and reinsurers. He focuses on complex property, construction, energy, builder’s risk and cyber risk insurance coverage and related litigation. Michael represents clients in all aspects of civil litigation and appeals as well as alternative dispute resolution proceedings, including appraisals and arbitrations.
Michael advises insurance markets on significant losses concerning catastrophic events. Examples of the types of catastrophes in which he works include hurricanes and other natural disasters; crane, bridge, and pier collapses; construction defect claims; machinery and equipment breakdowns; physical and business income losses at power generation facilities; and war risks abroad.
A substantial part of Michael’s practice focuses on representing insurers in matters involving manuscript and quota share programs placed through domestic, London, Bermuda and European markets. He also counsels clients on claims involving foreign local policies and international fronting arrangements in a number of regions, including North America, Central America, North Africa and the Middle East.
Michael writes and speaks frequently on a variety of legal and insurance topics, including first-party property and cyber risk insurance issues. He was also an invited guest lecturer on international insurance and reinsurance issues at his alma mater, Boston College Law School. In 2015, he co-authored a chapter, Cyber Risk Insurance and Risk Management, in an award-winning treatise on data privacy law.
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers, Rising Stars, 2013-2014
- Illinois Super Lawyers, Rising Stars, 2017
- American Bar Association, Member.
- Western Loss Association, Member.
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS), Member.
- Emerging Trends as Cyber Insurance Comes of Age, Cyber Security Practitioner, February 2017, Co-Author.
- When 1 Progressive Loss Ends And Another Begins, Law360, January 20, 2017, Co-Author.
- “Who Am I Talking To?”— The Regulation of Voice Data Collected by Connected Consumer Products, Business Law Today, American Bar Association, May 2016, Co-Author.
- Presentation at Western Loss Association Fall Conference: Common Issues In Business Interruption & Other Time Element Claims (2016), Panel Moderator.
- Presentation at Western Loss Association Fall Conference: Timeline & Delay Analysis In Time Element Claims (2016), Panel Moderator.
- Cyber Risk Insurance and Risk Management, excerpted from Data Security and Privacy in Massachusetts, MCLE, 2015, Author. (Winner, Association for Continuing Legal Education’s “ACLEA’s Best” Award, 2016).
- Webinar: Cyber Risk Insurance: Complex Risks and Emerging Coverages (2015), Presenter.
- Breaking Down the Collapse Doctrine in Washington, Law360, Aug. 29, 2014, Author.
- NY Insurance Cases Cut Back Consequential Damages Claims, Law360, June 4, 2014, Author.
- Presentation at Boston Bar Association: Cyber Risk Insurance: Surging Demand and Evolving Law (2014), Presenter.
- Presentation at Boston College Law School: International Insurance and Reinsurance (2014), Guest Lecturer.
- Be Careful with NY Honorable Engagement Provisions, Law360, Feb. 20, 2013, Author.
- Presentation at Lloyd's Under 30s, Atlanta: Mock Trial and Mediation Program (2013), Presenter.
- Causation and Anti-Concurrent Issues in Connection with Superstorm Sandy, DecPage – Vol. 4, Issue I, Dec. 2012, Author.
- Important New York Decision Regarding Coverage for Asbestos-Related Non-Products Liability Claims, Executive View Insurance & Risk Management Digital Guide, 2010, Author.
February 24, 2017John Black and Michael Silvestro co-authored an article, “Emerging Trends as Cyber Insurance Comes of Age,” published in the February 24, 2017 edition of Cyber Security Practitioner. The article discusses the maturation of the cyber insurance market, the interplay between cyber and other traditional insurance policies, and innovative technological approaches to evaluating cyber risks.
January 20, 2017William Kolb and Michael Silvestro published an article in Law360 discussing progressive loss scenarios in property loss claims. The article discusses recent case law developments and the role of expert evidence in obtaining summary judgment.
N.D. Ill. Holds No Article III Standing Where Only Technical Violation of Biometric Privacy Law Was AllegedSeptember 7, 2016Appearing in the ABA Cyberspace Law Committee Newsletter, Michael Silvestro’s article “N.D. Ill. Holds No Article III Standing Where Only Technical Violation of Biometric Privacy Law Was Alleged.”
May 19, 2016John Black and Michael Silvestro co-authored an article entitled “Who Am I Talking To?”— The Regulation of Voice Data Collected by Connected Consumer Products that was published in the May 2016 edition of the American Bar Association’s (ABA) Business Law Today magazine.
December 1, 2015Michael Silvestro has co-authored a chapter on “Cyber Risk Insurance and Risk Management” that was published in the December 2015 edition of the legal treatise “Data Security and Privacy in Massachusetts”.
10/20/2017Michael Silvestro will speak at the Western Loss Association’s Annual Conference on October 20, 2017 in Delavan, Wisconsin.
ABA Business Law Section Annual Meeting – “Intelligent Eavesdropping: Legal Issues Raised by Digital Personal Assistants and Artificial Intelligence”09/16/2017Michael Silvestro will speak at the American Bar Association’s Business Law Section Annual Meeting on September 16, 2017.
09/22/2016On September 22, 2016, Mike Silvestro and Bill Kolb will be jointly moderating two panel presentations at the Western Loss Association’s Fall Conference at the Lake Lawn Resort in Delavan, Wisconsin.
03/16/2016On March 16, 2016, Dawn Maruna and Michael Silvestro presented on “Essential Practices for Information Security Governance and the Role of Cyber Risk Insurance” at the 2016 AgFirst Farm Credit Bank Compliance Conference in Asheville, North Carolina.